Sunday, May 18, 2008

Bay to Breakers 12K! What a Show!



So Julie, Jeff and I paraded with thousands of others under the floating tortillas at the start of the race. At this point, Jeff deserted us to "run" the race, and we stuck with the parade. And true to form there were naked people (coded NP) and floats and other such stuff that I just can't explain. (Ask us about Swingy!) We didn't see the "Elvis" group but Jeff reported they were at the front. It was a complete blast.

We crossed the finish line jogging at 2:34:04 for 7.5 Miles (I was 1840 out of the females aged 40-49), and then they made us walk another 3/4 of a mile up to the "party." We stayed for a bit, but the fog rolled in and it was very cold.

I'm really glad Julie made us get hats -- as most everyone was in costume -- she was a Maryland Crab and I was a Maine Lobster -- even got a marriage proposal, called Rock Lobster and Red Lobster. We want it next year to be a GGN Annual event!

Update:
There were 60,000 participants in the race, 33,000 actually registered. Out of the 22,439 finishers, I was 19,264! 9,532nd woman to cross the finish line and 1840 of the women ages 40-49). It looks like Rachel had a good run, but I didn't see her on the course!

This article calls out Swingy referred to above
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/19/MNFE10OMG3.DTL

Here's an except:
"A cold day to be naked
The bright sunshine turned to fog around Ashbury Street, but it didn't dampen many spirits - except, perhaps, those of a few of the naked men, who nevertheless soldiered on.
One of the nudists, who identified himself only as Jack, was, by all indications, downcast during the post-party celebration at the Polo Grounds, where an icy wind joined the fog. He had by this time wrapped his manhood in a sock.
"I'm trying to find something to put on, but at least one of my socks is helping," said the shivering 62-year-old South Bay resident. "I've got to find a T-shirt, a trash bag or something. I'll have you know, though, that I put the sock on after the race." (we can validate his last statement!)

No comments: