Saturday, March 1, 2008

5 Miles on the W&OD Trail



A jog/walking milestone for me as I jog/walked 5 Miles this morning accompanied by my runnin' cousin Jude on the Washington and Old Dominion (W&OD) Trail today in Ashburn VA from mile marker 29.5 to Milemarker 32 and then turned around in 80 minutes!!! What a difference a friend makes! Based on the self portrait above, I'm convinced that I need to wear a hat anytime I run!

We first synched up with Tina from TNT DC and introduced ourselves, but decided to start out on the trip by our selves and knew that several TNT'rs would pass us on the trip. Jude and I talked about everything but running and I tried not to curse too often at the little beeper on my watch which times our intervals. Did pretty well on the trip out, and the trip back was more walking than jogging -- but it was awesome.

I thought it was cold so I started out with long johns on top and bottom and at about mile 3 I had to do a quick change out of the long john top :) Along the way we saw a cardinal and 2 blue birds and a turkey vulture (and lots of runners).

I was especially encouraged when I saw a lady at the back of the pack of the TNT Team much like myself struggling to keep up and I hope we gave her a bit of encouragement and a push. She's doing the Ankorage Marathon, so I probaby won't see her again.
We now switch gears to Big Red Softball in town for a tournament at Mason. Go Big Red!

No comments: