Saturday, March 29, 2008

Marine Corp Butler Relay 10K

Chilly morning in Quantico VA, home of the inaugural Marine Corp Butler Relay. I arrived in Quantico around 7:15 for an 8:00AM Start. Spent several minutes vascillating what to wear in the 38 degree weather for the 6.2 miles ahead. Finally decided on 2 dri wik shirts, and I made my way to the start.

Pomp and circumstance at the start with the National Anthem from the MC Band, the color guard and shotgun start all made it pretty cool. Thank goodness for my friend Melba (like the toast) that befriended me at mile 1 and we stayed together for the full 6.2 miles and were the absolute last 2 people crossing the finish line at 1:40!

I was extremely pleased with the first 4 miles at just an hour (15:00 pace) and some killer hills on a dirt trail slowed us down between miles 4 and 5. It was wonderful to have the marines along the way cheering us on -- and pretty cool to come across the finish at the new Butler track.

I also found out that my guaranteed admission for the historic 1st MC 1/2 Marathon in Fredricksburg on May 18, may have some value!

Glad the day started out fun...the afternoon and evening are all about my annual letter to the IRS for income taxes!

No comments: